Wednesday 26 March 2014

Edward Western and Group f/64

Western an other famous photographers, i.e Ansel Adams founded the group and called themselves 'Ground f/64'.



"The group chose this optical term because they habitually set their lenses to that aperture to secure maximum image sharpness of both foreground and distance."

They were so set on making sure that both the foreground and the background of the images they captured were super sharp and crystal clear. This is something that completely contrasts to my work, I am totally set on using depth of field o separate the foreground and background of my image having one definitive focal point for my image rather that having everything focused. 


Oceano, 1936 (47SO) 

Louisiana, 1941 (L41-MI-2) 

Cypress, Point Lobos, 1930 (35T) 

Like you can see with the images of Western's above they are all in focus and everything is as sharp as it can be. With them being nature and landscape based images its quite interesting to see the total difference between how he was so set on ensuring that everything was in focus and definable whereas I am not for that, i prefer to have one sharp focal point within the frame, drawing the viewer into that one point more than anywhere else, but when I am choosing this point within the image, weighing up the angles and composition through the view finder of the camera I am consciously thinking about what would be the best focal point of the image and what would work best with the viewer. 

It has become very apparent to me over time that I have my own way of putting an image together, yet when I am in the process of capturing an image I don't think about the choices I am making, they come naturally and I just try different things to see what works best within that frame. I don't tend to over think an image, I point and shoot, just a very quick think about what I can see and what will work and i've pointed the lens in a certain direction for a certain reason - but a reason that I may not necessarily realise until looking back upon the images later.

No comments:

Post a Comment